Thursday, January 19, 2012

detoxing

I just completed 5 days of the Haas detox diet. I thought it would be good to share my experience with it, since I'm no detox fanatic, having only done it once before, and because I think I'm like a lot of other people--I try to eat healthy, but sometimes fail, and I try to exercise regularly, but also sometimes fail. Every once in a while you just need an extra boost to get your routine back on track and to remind yourself of what you should be eating and how much. I had done the same detox a couple of years ago and loved the end result. I really believe, in my limited experience doing them, that they're a great experience for your body. It's an energy boost and cleanse all at the same time and a great opportunity to rid yourself of SNACC--sugar, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, and chemicals (dairy, too). This is the abbreviated plan (taken from http://chetday.com/haasdetox.htm):


THE DETOX DIET

SPECIAL GUIDELINES for THE DETOX DIET:

Chew your food very well and take enough time when you eat.
Relax a few minutes before and after your meal.
Eat in a comfortable sitting position.
Eat primarily steamed fresh vegetables and some fresh greens.
Take only herbal teas after dinner.


THE DETOX DIET MENU PLAN

Morning (upon arising): Two glasses of water (filtered, spring, or reverse osmosis), one glass with half a lemon squeezed into it.
Breakfast: One piece of fresh fruit (at room temp), such as apple, pear, banana, grapes, or citrus. Chew well, mixing each bite with saliva.

15-30 minutes later: One bowl of cooked whole grains--specifically millet, brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, raw buckwheat, or buckwheat. Flavoring can be two tablespoons of fruit juice for a sweeter breakfast taste, or use the "better butter" mixture mentioned below with a little salt or tamari for a deeper flavor.

Lunch (Noon-1 P.M.) One-two medium bowls of steamed vegetables; use a variety, including roots, stems, and greens--e.g. potatoes or yams, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, asparagus, kale, chard, and cabbage. CHEW WELL !

Dinner: (5-6 P.M.) Same as Lunch

Seasoning: Butter/canola oil mixture. Make this "better butter" by mixing a half cup of cold-pressed canola oil (or olive or flaxseed oils) into a soft (room temperature) half-pound of butter; then place in dish and refrigerate. Use about one teaspoon per meal or a maximum of 3 teaspoons daily.

11 A.M. & 3 P.M. One-two cups veggie water, saved from steamed vegetables. Add a little sea salt or kelp and drink slowly, mixing each mouthful with saliva.

Evening: Herbal teas only -- e.g. peppermint, camomile, pau d'arco, or blends.

NOTE: You may feel a little weak or have a few symptoms the first couple of days; this will pass. Clarity and feeling good should appear by day 3 or 4, if not before. If during this diet, you start to feel weak or hungry, assess your water intake and elimination; if needed, you can eat a small portion of protein food (3-4 ounces) in the mid-afternoon. This could be fish; free-range, organic chicken; or some beans, such as lentils, garbanzos, mung, or black beans.



I thought I would detail how each day went to let you know that it's definitely possible. Days 1 through 4 I did while working full time. My last day, day 5, fell on a Saturday.

Day 1: I loved waking up and having water and lemon right away. This just feels good! The tough part was eating quinoa. I love quinoa, but I'm a cold cereal type of gal and I found that plain quinoa with butter was a bit hard to stomach. I was feeling hungry but a large mug of peppermint tea really helped. I already feel good and very "light." Steamed vegetables at lunch were very filling. The tough part is acknowledging how much I "look forward" to food. I don't have anything to "look forward" to after work and maybe that's a mindset that I need to change. That being said, I cooked up some beans and paired them with olive olive and garlic. Delicious!

Day 2: Felt really great! Day 2 seemed to remind me of why I was doing this. I felt really good and energetic. Adding some pure orange juice to the quinoa and eating it cold for breakfast was a great option. The beans I steamed don't taste that great, but the sweet potato and carrot for lunch were good, though I should really add another 1 or 2 vegetables in there. I had a big salad for dinner dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt (the expanded explanation of the detox says that this is a fine meal to have). So good. I also ate the leftover beans. I was feeling the hunger pains a bit more after dinner, but going to bed early has helped. I also tried drinking the vegetable water/juice today. Ugh! (But it did help satiate me.)

Day 3: I think this is where it starts to get tough. I did great through breakfast, but developed a pretty good headache mid-morning. Obviously my body has finally realized that I've cut out a lot of the bad things and is withdrawing. Walking on the treadmill at lunch seemed to help. The steamed vegetables have become pretty unappetizing (I think steaming vegetables gives all vegetables a bad name! Longing for roasted or sautéed veggies.) : ) Luckily, steamed potatoes are pretty much the same as boiled potatoes = childhood comfort food. The potatoes, paired with peppers and carrots, were much better. Salad for dinner.

Day 4: Slight headache but not so bad. I'm starting to like the cold quinoa and OJ for breakfast. The peppermint tea is really helping hold me over until lunch time. And if all else fails, I succumb to drinking some of the juice from the steamed vegetables (no, really, I did it--twice). A salad for dinner, along with some beans--tossed with olive oil, fresh garlic, and some salt. I'm getting there!

Day 5: Made it! I broke down at dinner and threw a couple of falafels on my salad. I also had a glass of champagne that night to celebrate a Patriots playoff win against the Broncos and completing 5 days of detoxing!

The routine disclaimer: detoxing isn't for everyone. It's always good to consult with someone more knowledgeable than I am before doing it, but if you have any questions that I may be able to answer, definitely let me know in the comments section. Here's to a healthy and happy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment